06 July, 2009

Close encounter with 'Varanus Salvator'

They eat anything from insects, crabs, birds, mouse deer and even their own species...eeww..
Meet the Malayan Water Monitor Lizard or locally known as 'Biawak'. I knew some people took their(monitor) meat believing the meat can cure certain ailments or perhaps as aphrodisiac (Not sure if this is proven..)For whatever the reasons but it certainly a hit especially during 'aramaitii' as 'pusas' ;-) I've tasted the meat when I was like 6 or 7 years old.. and I was too young to find out what kind of meat they served until after you had your burpp. ..(Kenyang lah) then someone said, 'How's the biawak meat my dear?' Nope, no thanks..first and the last... So last saturday our children had their first encounter with this monitor lizard, from head to tail is like 1.5 meter long and probably weighing around 7 to 10kgs..it's really huge, I've never seen a huge biawak as this one..

They have never seen anything like this before...it's a good experience to let them
see some wildlife animals


Some people can't resist touching its tail..but I'm not sure if its a good idea though coz they bite right!? just like their BIG cousins the 'crocs'

Pix taken from afar

8 comments:

myvusak said...

Interesting....we accidently meet this creature crossing the road... even couple of them..may be hubby&wife..yeh??...

Carolyn said...

myvusak, maybe Mr & Mrs..tidak kena langgar ka? sian pula nanti kan... :-)

Dora A-Erb said...

Carol, we've seen several of these monitor lizards when we visited Pulau Tiga. They look cute and kinda shy away from people... :)

myvusak said...

...well, if kena langgar...what can u expect??..menu of the day lah!!!

Mama Mia said...

wow that's a huge one.kalau di kg, suda jadi pusas dia ni..berpesta besar urang kg..hehe...

so brave la your kids, mau lagi pigi tingu dekat2.Me? No tq, sia lari jauh2..i got phobia for 4-legged reptiles,even the tiny gecko frighten me... ;P

Carolyn said...

Hi Dora
I was made to understand too that these lizards can be shy at times..but I'm not sure of the big ones..

Vusak,
hopefully your car will not stumble on them..kesian bah jadi pusas kan :-)

MamaMia
Count me in, im scared of geckos too..there are lots of them at my mum's place hate to see them crawling behind those curtains..
i was suprised too my kids was so eager to have a closer looked at it.. :-D

swordie said...

emm... when our house was still surrounded with the paya and sago trees, there were many of them around.... sometimes the dogs catch it and we COOK and EAT the BIAWAK... very TASTY... but tat was many many many many... years ago... but if anyone COOK it today, I don't mind eating 'again'... but but but... nowadays, I think the biawak eat more 'garbage' compared to 20 -30 years ago... emm... mo makan lagi biawak kah ni ah?....

Carolyn said...

buli tahan anjing kamu tangkap biawak ah..hehe
Better don't eat lah coz we dont know what they eat, must be dozens of garbage too :-)